Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What word(s) would you choose to describe your gender identity and/or your sexuality?

I'm participating in a collaborative art show called a million little pictures, where people from all over the world were given a disposable camera and asked to document some aspect of their life in 24 frames. I decided it would be fun to document how the people around me all vary in terms of their gender identity and sexuality.

It HAS been a lot of fun, and it's been a great opportunity to have discussions about identities. A lot of people that I know chose labels that I didn't expect, and I had several great conversations about why we assume things about one another, and about how sexuality and gender are both very complicated, and each very different from the other.

I've decided to make this an ongoing project, so if you're interested in participating send me an email to laexigente@gmail.com, with "identification project in the subject line. In the meantime you can check out the photos here.

1 comment:

eliasoforange said...

This is a really exciting project!

Also, I love this blog so much that I would like to be added as an author. Please!