Saturday, June 19, 2010

BREAKING NEWS from the Allied Media Conference-Personal post

Hey all. I am currently sitting in the Art Education building at Wayne State University (ART EDUCATION BUILDING- you heard it right). I am attending the Allied Media Conference and presenting later this afternoon at 4pm. Right now I am trying to take a break from the amazingness that is the conference because I am exhausted from working with coffee people and 4-6 year olds all week.

First, check out the Allied Media Conference

Now read about what I am thinking about.

Ageism. I am 27. I look like I am maybe a young adult. Like 19-21 on a good day. I am not particularly sure why because I look like I am me. I wouldn't be frustrated except that it affects my interactions. Lately coworkers, day camp kids and potentially future employers have been making comments. I have heard "I thought you were 19.", and "You should feel blessed because you look young." It wouldn't bother me, except people have been talking down to me and surprised that I am talented, etc. I am tired. I am a hard worker. I am broke. I am trying to find a job that can pay the incredible debt that I now have from the education that I have received. I am not belittling the process or the result of my degrees, but it is hard in this economy to feel helpful when I know many people are being let go and are hopeless. (BTW, 150,000 teaching positions are being cut this year across the country. That is very very wrong) It all leaves me emotionally, physically and soully exhausted. It is good that I went to a session this morning about education because it gave me some hope for the future and for education, something I desperately needed. IT's ok. People are more worse off than I am, but I still feel bad.

Also go check out - Da Town Researchers. They are awesome and doing really great things for education in California.

I'm gonna go nap. Thanks for listening internet and people all over.

No comments: