Tuesday, January 12, 2010

BOOK CLUB UPDATE!!


 I promised that once the holidays were over, I'd get started organizing our feminist book club. Our first book will be The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. This is based on several of you indicating that you'd like to read this. You are free to purchase the book or borrow from a friend or the library. Here are some places online where you can get it for cheap.

Alibris $2.95


Amazon $2.25

We're going to get together to discuss the book on March 21st. (So make sure you've read it by then lol!) That's a Sunday afternoon. We'll meet at noon. I think it could be fun to meet at a coffee shop, but if we have too many people for that to make sense, we could meet at my house. Let's pick the location when we're closer to March 21st. At this meeting we'll discuss how we went to select future books. A couple of suggestions that have surfaced are that we could put book ideas in a hat and draw them out, or we could rotate and each take turns assigning a book. In the meantime, you should make a list of your favs.

I'm so excited!!

De Las.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I checked our catalog and there are 16 copies available at the LPL branches.

De Las Ondas said...

awesome!!

Mervin Sue said...

I also own a copy and don't mind sharing with people. It isn't a long read.

Krista said...

I also have a copy for lending since I've recently re-read. However...

I usually work on Saturdays til 2pm :( Any way the time might shift a smidge later? Or what about Sundays?

Unknown said...

I just found this and have been looking for a book club to join forever...I was looking for lesbian related reads, but this is just as interesting. Is anyone welcome?

Mervin Sue said...

Anyone is welcome. You can even join the listserv. Post your email here and we can get you signed up.