Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Street Harrassment

This is a real problem, and it happens everywhere. I prefer the definition of street harassment provided by the amazing women at Incite

An interaction in a public space that:

makes you feel sexualized, intimidated,embarrassed,objectified, violated, attacked, or unsafe.

An interaction in a public space that:

restricts your movement or makes you modify your behavior in an attempt to avoid the possibility of being verbally and/or physically harassed.

Some of the of the behaviors that represent street harassment are:

Whistling, kissing noises, psssst noises
Comments like “Give me a smile!” and “Hey baby!”
Yelling from a distance
Blocking a woman’s path
Grabbing, groping, touching
Following (on foot, in a vehicle)
Honking

What are your experiences with street harassment in Lexington? Where were you when it happened? How did you respond?

Also, I've printed a ton of anti-street violence brocures from Incite's action page that I intend to distribute around town. They're AMAZING. They define street harassment, talk about why it's dangerous, and list things you can do if you're being harassed on the street, as well as things men can do to educate other men about street harassment (not that men are the only ones who harass people on the street).

If you'd like some brochures to give to friends, leave at your school, doctors office, grocery store, etc. you can download the PDF from the above link, or get in touch with me and I'll give you some. My email is laexigente@gmail.com

xo,

delas.

3 comments:

eliasoforange said...

we can put some in the outsource to display/ distribute!

Mervin Sue said...

Everytime I have been harrased by a driver in lexington I have just yelled the same thing back at the car.

Other than that I ignore it. I have been harassed too many times to worry about it too much.

De Las Ondas said...

Just the other day, I was walking down Limestone Ave. Towards 3rd St. Stuff coffee when this younger guy walking on the other side of the street started harassing me. He kept yelling stuff like "Hey, can't we stop and talk?!" "Where are you going?!"

Instead of using some of the skills/tactics from Incite! I totally just got all nervous and walked more quickly towards the coffee shop.

I hate that, and I was at first really mad at myself for not standing up for myself. But I've got to realize I've got 28 years of being harassed and afraid that I have to dismantle.