Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Glee: From Hollywood to Columbus to Lexington

I love the show Glee.

I know that a lot of people do. They love that they perform popular songs and it is like a musical every week. My love for Glee goes deeper than that.

Probably the reason that I love Glee the most is for the connection that Sue Sylvester has with her Sister. Sue's sister has Down Syndrome. My brother has Down Syndrome. While Sue seems to be the biggest b, she is a complex character and that is why I love her. I can attest personally that having a sibling with a disability is difficult. It is one of the biggest parts of my life, but sometimes I feel like I never got to really have a childhood. This doesn't make me a victim, just tired. I can understand Sue's rashness because I too have been defensive, angry, sad, happy and overwhelmed with my relationship with my brother. I value the exposure that this show is giving to all identities, especially to the one that I have held (hidden) close to my heart for my whole life.



I also love that there are a lot of identities present in the series. Yes the main dude is a white guy. Yes the "other" actors are people of color and gay and people with disabilities. I love that there is a lot of variety on the show. I love that someone on the series regularly is playing a part of a student in a wheelchair. I love that someone with Down Syndrome has shown up in 3 episodes. Since the show "Life Goes On" from 1989-1993-



I haven't seen a show on primetime with an actor that has Down Syndrome. That may not mean a lot to you, but it does to me. I yearn for that kind of recognition, especially for a show that shows the sibling relationship that Sue has.

Glee makes fun of itself. It deals with heavy subjects (Gender, class, race, sexuality, teenagedom, education, etc.) while still making it fun. It isn't perfect, but it is the most right on show I have seen in a long time.

I student taught this past semester. I can tell you that teenagers are dealing with those issues as you read. They deal with teen pregnancy, popularity, discrimination, disability, invisibility and pop music. No other show that I have seen has addressed a more realistic view of High School currently, while still making the show enjoyable. I know that not everyone agrees with me, but that is what blogging and comments are for.

Thank you Glee.

4 comments:

eliasoforange said...

This post makes me want to start watching Glee! Thanks!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
志文 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.