Wednesday, May 19, 2010

looking for submissions for a project about how we feel about Kentucky

I started the Kentucky Experience Project about a year ago and due to varying things (technical difficulties and a busy life) I had to put it down for a bit. I've got some of those kinks worked out now and I'm ready to start aggressively looking for submissions once again.

I got the idea for the project after I'd been living in the state for about four years and come to understand the diversity of its residents and landscapes. It seems like depending on where you live, how you personally identify, your race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or who you associate with, your perception of Kentucky will be radically different from someone elses. I've met folks who live here who think it is the friendliest and most beautiful place on earth (no joke!) and I've met people who for various reasons can't stand it here.

I thought it would be interesting to gather up people's stories and perceptions and compile them all together in the same place. In this case, as a website. I'm hoping that by doing so we can create a more intimate and honest dialogue about the wonderful resources that we have here, and where a lot of work needs to be done.

I'm currently looking for submissions. You can submit anything you'd like. Short stories, photographs, drawings, songs, poems, whatever. I am looking for original work. You can view the submission guidelines here. You don't have to a great artists or writer to submit either. I'm more interest in diversity of opinion rather than the quality of the work.

xo,
De Las

No comments: